INTRO

Ok, I feel like I have some explaining to do. Should we feel sheepish about starting a blog? Well I can assure you we do. However, after some talk with freinds we've been encouraged to write our shallow, sometimes obvious, but occaisionally intelligent observations on this blog. We write mostly about the Utah Jazz, since that is our major interest, but other stuff too.

Sean and Jake

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Who Would You Pick?


My brother Todd text me while I was watching the Spurs-Lakers game with an interesting thought. If you could pick a player to go alongside Deron Williams, who would it be? Obviously, the rule is you can't pick the best player on any team. We are talking about really good, 2nd or 3rd option guys. Here is the thing to keep in mind: You can have three picks, and they must be at least semi-realistic picks. You cannot say Lebron, Kobe, and Howard.

Todds three picks were good.
-Lamar Odom
-Manu Ginobli
-Ray Allen

This got me thinking. I think Todd picked these guys based on the game he was watching. I dont disagree with these three picks, all three are awesome players who would play very well alongside Deron Williams, however, I would pick three others.

First off, Ray Allen, you cant really argue with that. The best thing to have if your a point guard is a great shooter that can set up on the perimeter and draw plenty of attention. I had the opportunity of playing with a Ray Allen type player. Logan Mendenhall is a great shooter, and a guy that I absolutely love playing with because you cant leave him. It opens up plenty of lanes, and the fast breaks are awesome because you just go, and if all else fails, you know Logan is getting open at the three point line and is gonna knock it down. (I had to give the best shooter Ive ever played with some love in here). Another thing we dont often talk about is a shooters ability to move without the ball. Another quality both Ray Allen, and my freind Logan have. I hated guarding Logan in practice everyday because I knew I couldnt just cheat underneath the basket when I was on the weakside. Shooters know how to read every move you make and counter with a cut to get open. Its very annoying to be guarding someone, then turn to close out only to find that player is no longer in the corner where you left him but at the top of the key, busting a three on your eyeball. I led the team in threes busted on my eyeball. (Only cause I was guarding Logan everyday though.)

Manu Ginobli, was a good pick 2 years ago. He was incredible. Now his good games are just not often enough. The dude is getting old. Todd, I think you made this call because Manu looked like the Manu of old against the Lakers and you forgot he is on the downhill.

Lamar Odom, is another great pick because basically he is a guy that goes along great with any player. There are very few 6'9 or 6'10 guys that can run a fast break and handle the ball like Odom. Lebron James comes to mind. Odom isnt a great shooter but is a matchup nightmare for most teams (esp the Jazz).

These are good picks. In creating my own list it would be easy to say I'd take Allen and Odom too, but that is no fun so let me try a different set of guys.

Ill go with:
1-Rashard Lewis. He is a good shooter but is a great scorer. He is clutch too. He is a matchup nightmare, comparable to Lamar Odom.

2-LaMarcus Aldridge. I love his game, he can shoot, and can post up. Another guy Williams could drive and kick to.


3-Josh Smith. For one reason, Jazz need a shot blocker and an athletic guy that can jump. Plus, one thing the Jazz are lacking is alley-oops which are the sweetest play in basketball besides the 4 point play. I guess thats more than one reason.
Let us know what your picks would be.
Sean

1 comment:

  1. 1-Ben Gordon
    2-Pau Gasol
    3-Chauncy Billups....

    They played awesome together in the all star game, and you said it couldnt be the best player on the best team which is Carmelo. That would be some backcourt....

    ReplyDelete