INTRO

Ok, I feel like I have some explaining to do. Should we feel sheepish about starting a blog? Well I can assure you we do. However, after some talk with freinds we've been encouraged to write our shallow, sometimes obvious, but occaisionally intelligent observations on this blog. We write mostly about the Utah Jazz, since that is our major interest, but other stuff too.

Sean and Jake

Sunday, March 14, 2010

MARCH MADNESS


I decided to write this for a good freind of mine, Ashley Eakins. After a little Kentucky trash talk (shes's a huge Kent. fan) she mocked me by saying, "Go write a blog or something." So I did.

Everyone loves March Madness. Its the best time of year (especially since baseball hasn't officially started and NBA is still going strong)

I personally like to pick a good team that I think can win, and that hardly anyone picks.

Here's my predictions according to my bracket.

-I'm getting a very, very strong gut feeling that this is the year a 16 beats a 1. I'm thinkin Arkansas PB beats Duke. (Obviously I dont have this one on my bracket, I didnt quite dare)

-Texas A&M is better than a typical 5 seed. So is Mich. St. They could both knock off their one seeds. (Duke, and Kansas)

-BYU is much better than a 7 seed and got screwed. Keep that in mind as you say what I said, and that is that you wont be suprised when they lose. I picked them over Florida, but not over Kansas St. even though I think they could actually pull that off. Im not getting my hopes up though, based on experience. Plus Jimmer might pull a 40 point game and be this year's Steph Curry.

-UTEP is way better than a 12 seed. A lot of people dont realize they were ranked in the top 25 for awhile. Not only that but their matchup is favorable. Since they'll be playing the second game against Murray St., they will be in the sweet 16.

-Kentucky is going to disappoint a lot of people. ALL FRESHMEN. Thats all im gonna say.

-Kansas is going to disappoint as well, they have the hardest bracket to go through in the history of the 64 team tournament. Mich. St., Maryland, Tennessee, GA Tech, Ok. St., Ohio St. All possible matchups. How many HOF coaches is that, all of which will be gunning for the overall #1 seed.(Plus 75 percent of people are picking Kansas, so thats no fun to pick them.)

-Evan Turner is the best player in the country, and much better than John Wall, therefore Ohio St is going to be the champion.

Obviously I'm not an expert. Anyone can win their bracket with a little luck. Sometimes the experts who know every matchup in and out still dont do well in the bracket. This is what makes the tournament so awesome, its anything-can-happen factor. Jakes wife Yersa won two years ago. Also at work Ive seen women doing well basing their picks on mascots.
Sean

2 comments:

  1. Boo...I have Kentucky winning it. lol. and I forgot you were from there. To be honest though...I have no idea how any of these teams play...I just know I have seen a commercial for Kentucky that showed a lot of school spirit so I thought they could pull it off. :) But really...it is just fun to fill out the brackets and see how you do. I love the upsets in March Madness. Can't wait for the games.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have kansas winning. yes, they have the toughest bracket, but they're the best, most talented (in terms of college talent, not necessarily pro potential although the jayhawks will be well-represented in the next couple drafts), and most well-coached team. a pleasure to watch, Kansas will win convincingly even against these tough teams (by the way, for the record I think Xavier Henry is in the same class as John Wall and Evan Turner - the X-man got overshadowed on a loaded team, but he'll be a terrific pro).

    A whole lot of people will get burned picking against kentucky - what's to say they can't pull off a fab-five type run? tons of talent, wall and bledsoe are the best backcourt in America (and we all know how important guard play is), good coaching - they'll lose in the final to a superior Kansas team.

    overall interesting post, after this fantastic day one it looks like this year's tourney will be the complete opposite of last year's disaster.

    by the way everyone, when you're done here make sure to check out www.arjun-allthingssports.blogspot.com for candid and insightful analysis

    ReplyDelete