INTRO

Ok, I feel like I have some explaining to do. Should we feel sheepish about starting a blog? Well I can assure you we do. However, after some talk with freinds we've been encouraged to write our shallow, sometimes obvious, but occaisionally intelligent observations on this blog. We write mostly about the Utah Jazz, since that is our major interest, but other stuff too.

Sean and Jake

Monday, March 8, 2010

KOBE vs BARNES/MAGIC-LAKERS

JAKE'S JUMBLE
Check out the video to the right. It is of Matt Barnes faking a pass right at Kobe's face. Here's the link in case you can't see it on here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaKmIXvANhY

So, Kobe Bryant is super human. How does he not flinch at this? I know this angle makes it look like Barnes might not be faking it directly at Kobe's face, but I've seen it from another angle and it is right at his face. I have to give it to Barnes for treating Kobe like garbage, but Kobe won this one for not flinching and not losing his cool. If this were anyone else they would have looked like a little girl putting their hands up and ducking.



I was watching the Magic and Lakers game and watching what Matt Barnes was acting like against Kobe. The commentators were saying how Barnes should be thrown out for his behavior. That was very funny to me because all I saw him doing was pushing him a little bit and getting in his face a lot. Most of the time they looked closer to kissing each other than fighting.

Here is a picture of Larry Bird and Dr. J practically trying to kill each other. What you don't see is what happened next, both of them throwing violent punches while clinching the others throat. I wouldn't be surprised if these two weren't even tossed for this fight in that game, and if it happened now days they'd be disqualified for who knows how many games. I think I liked how it was back then. What do you think? Does the league handle it better now, or back then?
Jake

SEANS SCHPEEL
I agree Hokub (Jake). Seriously, how does Kobe not even blink at this? Incredible. It's almost like he knew Barnes was going to do that. Even if he did, most guys would still flinch. Jeff Van Gundy said, "If you're in a pillow fight, and someone fakes a pillow at your face, you at least flinch. Kobe didn't even flinch, that's the play of the game." Van Gundy is hilarious.

They try and control the physicality now a lot more. I think we have Artest and the Malace at the Palace to thank for that. Kobe is dirty, he has just mastered getting away with it and making it look like nothng.

That picture is awesome by the way.

Obviously I hope the Jazz make the finals, but if not I am really hoping for a Lakers-Magic re-match. After seeing how chippy Barnes and Kobe were, and Gasol and Howard, a 7 game series for all the marbles would be so crazy. That adds a very entertaining aspect to the game. It is fun to see guys play when they are making it personal. Kobe and Lebron are freinds, and absolutely would go at it 100 percent, but I guarentee you you won't see Kobe and Barnes hugging or slappin' 5 after the game is over.

Either way, I cannot wait for playoffs. There are going to be several awesome matchups. Including a Shaq vs Howard for Superman rights series.
Sean

5 comments:

  1. that game was very fun to watch, it was physical and you saw that the players had more intensity... most games are really mellow. i think may have been the instigator but kobe definatley dealt with it all better than barnes, i think kobe has more experience from past years, but he definately did stuff to aggrivate the situation. it would be awesome to see those 2 teams in the finals

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Tyson is right. I think Kobe probably instigated it and he definately does deal with it better. You can tell Kobe has a lot of practice at getting under other players skin. It was a lot of fun to watch these two going at it. I love that Kobe didn't even flinch with the fake to the face. Amazing! And it is a lot of fun to see how sneaky Kobe is and kinda funny to see him getting to these other players. But that must have been so frustrating to Barnes that Bryant was getting away with those cheap little jabs just cuz he's not a hot head. Good game.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It doesn't matter who started it but who finished it. It's like the scene at the Quikimart in Harold and Kumar go to White Castle. Kumar flinches on the second fake swing and walks away a loser. Barnes ... loser win or no win, which is why he'll be on team #10 next season.

    Great blog. My new favourite Sean. You're a bigger homer than Simmons. Hey, what's going to happen when the Jazz get the Knicks #1 pick and take John Wall ... a franchise point guard who can win them a championship? Where will they trade Williams?

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's true about Barnes. What is he on his 9th team in equally as many years? Wall is overrated. If the Jazz win the 1st pick, they'll pick Turner I think. I'll take being mentioned in the same sentence as Simmons as a compliment. I know who you are...taking shots at Dwill, Mr. Hansen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think Kobe was looking when Barnes faked the ball at his face. He's standing kind of sideways, and I'll bet his eyes were to the right, opposite the ball coming towards him. I'm sure he'd flinch if he were looking. anyway, that was funny. Did yal see the 30 for 30 ESPN show last night about Reggie Miller vs. the Knicks and Spike Lee. It was pretty good. I remember watching those games. The thing that struck the most in watching all these old highlights was how physical the game was back then. The game today is definitely more harnassed in that sense. I'm not sure who's to blame for that, I suppose they are trying to protect the players from injuries, which is ok. But man! They were rough back then! That's why I liked this Magic-Lakers game so much. It was fun watching Barnes and Kobe, then Gasol and Howard go at it.

    ReplyDelete